Improve wait times or add a in-game lobby

Thread starter #1

Phellic

Closed Alpha Tester
I don't know how others feel but I find waiting 5 minutes (on average) to enter a match to be very boring. If the wait times can't be improved without having more players playing, then can we atleast have some sort of in-game lobby or pre-match where players are placed while waiting for the server to start - to run around in and hit eachother to make the time pass faster.

Alternatively, add a deathmatch pre-match, either free-for-all or 2-team versus, to enter while you wait for the server you qued for to open and have enough players to start. Have respawn rooms for when you die and have unlootable "Tindrem weapons" and spellbooks with regeants in player's inventory.

Amadman

Closed Alpha Tester
I suggested earlier today that they should have one server open all the time that does not have a storm going. One that people could come and go as they please at any time.

To me this would address many of the issues in waiting and give players a way to get a feel for how things work in the game.

They could explore the world, try spells, attempt lockpicking ect..

Also if they had static spawn locations you could pick then an experienced player could have a new player meet them somewhere and they can try to show them how to do things.

On top of this players could still use it as an open fighting ground.

I could be wrong, but it seems like it would be pretty easy to implement a server with the storm turned off.

Thread starter #3

Phellic

Closed Alpha Tester
I suggested earlier today that they should have one server open all the time that does not have a storm going. One that people could come and go as they please at any time.

To me this would address many of the issues in waiting and give players a way to get a feel for how things work in the game.

They could explore the world, try spells, attempt lockpicking ect..

Also if they had static spawn locations you could pick then an experienced player could have a new player meet them somewhere and they can try to show them how to do things.

On top of this players could still use it as an open fighting ground.

I could be wrong, but it seems like it would be pretty easy to implement a server with the storm turned off.
It could very well work aswell. It seems to be easier to implement, since essentially it's the same server they have now but with infinite respawns instead.

I don't mind what they add, aslong as it keeps us busy while we wait. But I'd prefer it to be Mortal related, ofcourse.

Amadman

Closed Alpha Tester
Yeah, it seems like it would take very little work and give another option for players to do that does not require them to wait.

New players are always annoyed by the wait in the chat. But you often never see them again after their first battle.

It is no surprise really though. Imagine waiting all that time for enough people to start the timer.....Then waiting on the 300+ second counter.....Then waiting on the loading screen......then waiting for all players to log in..... then ghosting for 45 seconds... and finally running around until you find yourself in your first fight.

Seconds later you are dead.

How many in their right mind are going to want to start that process over after that?

The players wanting to play need to have something to do other than waiting. It is something that is going to need to be addressed. If SV can provide them with something to do while they wait that also allows them to learn about the game then even better.

Last edited:
Thread starter #5

Phellic

Closed Alpha Tester
New players are always annoyed by the wait in the chat. But you often never see them again after their first battle.

It is no surprise really though. Imagine waiting all that time for enough people to start the timer.....Then waiting on the 300+ second counter.....Then waiting on the loading screen......then waiting for all players to log in..... then ghosting for 45 seconds... and finally running around until you find yourself in your first fight.

Seconds later you are dead.

How many in their right mind are going to want to start that process over after that?
Yup, exactly this. It really becomes a catch 22 when players wait for more activity and matches won't start because not enough players.
I don't know what SV is up to, but I hope they are working on a viable solution and that it's coming soon.

Amadman

Closed Alpha Tester
Right. There needs to be enough players to keep the timers going for it to run smoothly.

I totally forgot one more wait for the new player. The initial download. :(

What is the quote about expectations growing as more time passes and that they can become too high to ever be met?

SV really needs to do something that gets players into some sort of gameplay sooner.